Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year and A Challenge

Are you shaking your head and thinking to yourself, "Where did the year go?"  Well, that's what I've been doing for the past week or so.  

A few years ago, my mom gave me a big box of journals she and my dad had kept for years and years.  There are journals of every size and every color, the covers are getting tattered and torn, and the pages are yellowing.   Some of the days events are written by mom, others by dad, and some days they both wrote a page or so.  They wrote about things like the weather, who came to visit them, what my sisters and I and our families were doing, what they had for lunch or dinner, what they were thankful for and sometimes they wrote interesting tidbits they'd heard on the radio or read in a magazine.  It has been so much fun to read through the diaries ... to get a glimpse in to their daily lives ... to read what they felt was important enough to record.  Now that they are both gone, the diaries mean even more to me. 
Last January 1 I started to journal my life by taking a photo a day.  I also recorded little tidbits with the photos.  I posted them in my Facebook photo album and was able to take photos for 69 days in a row, but unfortunately, I stopped the project because my mom became very ill.  Plain and simple, I just didn't take the time to do it.
  With a new year rolling around, I'm going to try the challenge again ... Because even though I only have 69 days of photos to look back on from last year, it amazed me how many of the "little" things I had forgotten about until I saw the photos and read my journaling again (when I was preparing for this blog post).  

Will you challenge yourself to take a photo a day in 2012?  If not a photo a day, perhaps a photo a week?  I'm certain, that like me, at some point you will look back on your photo journaling journey and smile, and you'll be thankful you took the time to snap a photo and jot down the happenings of your day(s).

Wishing you all a blessed 2012!!!
Facebook

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

going to do a photo a week.... thanks for reminding me