Sunday, December 18, 2011

Book Gift Idea

One week from today is Christmas!  Are you scratching your head for a gift idea?  This hand made book would be great for last minute gift giving.

Here's a peak at the finished project


  And a quick overview of how I created it - 

I used Corel PSP X2 to create the pages for the address book (hint: save the file, because by making only a few minor changes, you can use the template for lots of different types of books).

All of the pages are printed on heavy weight card stock.  The alpha pages are printed on off white card stock and the address pages are printed on white card stock.


I started off with heavyweight cardboard chipboard measuring 6.25W x 5H.  I cut out 2 pieces of scrapbook paper (Bo-Bunny paper, from the Enchanted collection) to cover the front cover - then repeated the process for the back cover of the book.  (The card stock pages are just a tad smaller than the chipboard covers).


I put both covers under something flat and heavy and let them set overnight.
You can see in the photo below, the scrapbook paper is not setting perfectly on the chipboard.  That can be fixed easily by trimming off any excess (I use small scissors) and sanding down all of the edges (which also needs to be done for inking purposes in a later step).


Here is what the cover looks like after I've trimmed and sanded it down

 
I then inked all of the edges of the chipboard and inked slightly on to the edge of paper with Tim Holtz Distress Ink (I used Black Soot)


Time to punch the holes, put the book together and add the spiral to the top.  I use the We R Memory Keepers Cinch binding machine, however, if you do not have one, you can punch holes and use book rings to secure the book together.


I've added a Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Word key to the spiral (I've found it is easier to add any hanging embellishments before ribbons are tied on) and trimmed off excess ribbon.  

One of my favorite parts of making these books is digging through my ribbon stash to find just the right ribbons to tie on to the spirals. Using ribbons made of different materials, different widths and patterns gives a unique look to each book. 
Trim the ribbons to the desired length and you are done!!!

I hope you are able to use this as inspiration!  If not for Christmas, for any personal, handmade gift to give to someone special throughout the year!

(PS - more book projects and information is available on My BLOG)

Wishing you and your family a blessed holiday!!!
Facebook

2 comments:

Fitra2009 said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment and following your blog here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog and following me back too.

jimbacall said...

Inside a barn the applause for art,design,color, & adorableness was put on a area of paper. Years afterwards this would arise into a abounding destroyed ability centermost of paper,embellishments,fabric, and abounding more.


scrapbook supplies