Thursday, June 24, 2010

80's Flashback


My daughter and I went shopping at a local mall a few days ago and I had a serious case of deja vu. On every rack, I saw buffalo plaid, neon splatters and metallics. I felt like I was back in 1984 doing my own school shopping!

They say that all styles make a comeback at some point, but I was surprised by some of the trends that I saw. While I can live without big hair and shoulder pads, some of the trends that I saw are fun to revisit. Plaid, for example, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, but has never really gone out of style. I saw lots of variations, from mini checks to buffalo plaid.

There was also a broad spectrum of colors gracing the racks. Lots of neon (who could imagine the 80's without neon?) and also lots of muted colors, like dusty purple. Shiny metallics embellished just about every accessory and piece of clothing that I saw.

Jumping on the 80's flashback trend, I decided to create a project that pulled some of these design ideas together. I pulled out an old plaid background stamp from Stampin' Up, inked it with Charcoal chalk ink, and stamped it on dusty purple cardstock. I used part of this for my background. Then I trimmed a strip, misted it with water and scrunched it up to make a ruffle for my card. Ruffles were everywhere at the mall, especially on plaid button-down shirts! This was the perfect embellishment for my 80's card.

I finished my card by adding "u rock" with puffy alphas, an over-sized blingy brad and some metallic stars trimmed from patterned paper. The result: a card appropriate for a trendy teen or your best friend from high school.
Facebook

0 comments: