Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting Over It....

Hi everyone Casey here to share a little insight on imperfection, confidence and getting over it!!

There are times that I have confidence issues.  Confidence in how I am as  Mom, how I look and even how my scrapping looks.  I suppose most women share this common bond of wondering are we, our actions, and our projects good enough.  As I get older I find myself having less of these thoughts...perhaps it is because I have less time to dwell or I am finally embracing imperfection.  This is a hard lesson for a self-confessed perfectionist to learn...so I am taking a class to help!  Well it is a class to help me as it applies to my scrapping!  Karen Gurnberg  from Big Picture Classes is leading a free workshop, Embrace Imperfection, and it is enlightening.

Sometimes I look at my pages and think ICK!  My photos are not good enough, my style is lacking, I don't have a knack for design, Scrapper X's layouts are prettier than mine...blah...blah...blah!  Well, I am here to tell you that I will always nit pick my layouts and they will never be perfect but what they will be is treasured.  After a couple of weeks of class I have a renewed focus...to preserve the little moments that make up life.  Sure I want them to be pretty but am I going to let a 'bad' photo keep me from scrapping a great story or am I going to delete a layout because it does not look like it came from a magazine;)...NO!

My purpose for sharing this with you all is this...if you are letting self doubt hinder you from scrapping or enjoying your layouts take a second and remember why you scrap.  Is it to make perfect pages...or to make keepsakes that you and your family will treasure?  Do you really think that your grandchildren will care if you misspell a word in your journaling or if you don't match your colors perfectly?  I don't think so...I think they will be happy that Nana took the time to scrap all these great memories.

With all this in mind I scrapped some photos that I thought were fair at best.  Here is the layout I came up with...and to be honest I really like it.  Please ignore the hideous sweatshirt and PJ bottoms I am wearing...another reason I almost did not scrap these.  But then again who always dresses to the nines?


Be sure to check out Big Picture Classes!  There are always free classes going on and there are also other classes that require payment...they all look fun and helpful for all kinds of scrappers (digital or traditional).
Facebook

2 comments:

Linda said...

Wonderful post and LOVE your layout!

Anonymous said...

I love your heartfelt post Casey--you are an amazing person and mother!
I love love love your layout!

Big Cricky Hugs,
K Andrew