Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fabric: It's Not Just For The Seamstress Anymore....

Hello everyone! Happy Thursday to you! I hope you are having a wonderful day so far! Today, I wanted to share a layout with you showcasing how fun fabric can be in your creations. I love fabric! I love the soft texture of it up against my favorite scrapbooking papers and embellishments. It comes in a wide array of colors, patterns, and textures. Also, the best part about fabric is how affordable it is. I love to hit up my local fabric or craft store, like Joann Crafts, and check out the fabric quarters. The stores are so great to put them on sale quite often. You can score a fabric quarter for around a dollar or even cheaper....so a very cost efficient supply to add to your scrappy arsenal. Or maybe you have a Mom, Grandmother, or family friend who sews...I am sure they would love to offer up some of their leftover fabric pieces. So keep an eye out and pick up some fabric today!!

For this layout, I cut a 12" x 2" strip of scrap cardstock. I then chose some fabric and cut it to about 25" x 3". This part does not have to be precise, you can just eyeball it. I then took my adhesive runner and laid down two strips of adhesive, side by side, on the strip of cardstock. Next, I pleated my fabric. I did not follow any pattern when pleating. I just pleated here and there until I was satisfied with the look of it. That is another reason I love working with fabric, you don't have to be precise. You can just have fun with it. So, after I had my fabric pleated, I took it to my sewing machine and stitched over the top of the pleating for added security. I then took some pinking shears and trimmed the bottom of my fabric, trying to cut as straight as I could. Now, after I did my stitching and cutting, I decided I wanted to cover the stitch to make it look a bit better. So I did a little ribbon work. If you are interested in this ribbon technique, I have a tutorial that I did about a year ago on my blog. You can find that HERE. It really is a easy technique to do and so fun! When I was ready to adhere the strip of pleating to my layout, I used some Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. I like this adhesive because it really will provide the strong hold needed. After the glue had dried, I trimmed off the excess. Here is my layout..."So Tweet."
See the dimension the fabric can give? I love it!! It makes me want to run back to the craft store and buy up all the fabric I can find.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and I encourage you to pull out your sewing machine and fabric and work them into some of your crafty projects! If you do, please post them in the gallery here at Scrapstreet. We would love to see them!

Yall have a fabulous day and Happy Scrappin'!

Aymee aka Southernbellescrapper

Facebook

4 comments:

Nicole Martel said...

What a fun layout!!

Janneke said...

love to work with fabric too! great tutorial and page!

Mel said...

Wow that is awesome using the pinking shears on the bottom of the pink fabric too, this is just gorgeous with the texture and gorgeous cut outs, thanks....

Melissa said...

LOVE!! Working with fabric is one of my faves lately. Love that layout Aymee!