Sunday, August 21, 2011

Taste the rainbow!

Remember that commercial slogan?  It was the first thing that came to mind when I first saw this picture on pintrest:


The vibrant colors grabbed my attention.  Isn't it gorgeous?!  I immediately pinned it to my color board.  I knew it would inspire me to create.  But then I kept coming back to it.  Kept thinking about it.  Wondering how to make it.  Did they bake in the jar?  
Finally, I followed the link to a link to the recipe.  It was posted on a site called Babble along with a number of other cake in a jar recipes.  As I read through, I discovered that the rainbow cake was, in fact, cooked in the jar.  But I also read a number of comments that indicated a problem with it cooking evenly.  I was disappointed.  

On the bottom of the post there were a number of other cake jars.  Just out of curiosity, I clicked on another.  Reading through it I discovered that this recipe was not cooked in the jar, but crumbled and layered with icing.  I was thrilled!  My mom, my kids, and I grabbed a white cake mix and some food coloring and got to work making our rainbow colors.  We baked, crumbled, and layered with love.  

Absolutely delicious!  And really pretty!  We popped them in the fridge and enjoyed them for days.  It was such fun to grab an individual jar.  They actually stayed fresher than a regular cake.

Tomorrow is the first day of school at our college and I am celebrating by bringing lemon cake jars to some of my colleagues.  I know we will all need that extra sugar kick to deal with the dramas of getting a bit over 12,000 students on the path to success.

Ok, so I know that this is not a scrapping item, but I could not resist sharing.  After all, who loves cool things to do with friends and family more than scrappers?  And when you can get gorgeous, colorful photos to add to your next page on top of it?  SCORE! Facebook

1 comments:

She's a Color Queen said...

Yummy!! My daughter makes rainbow cupcakes like this. She makes the batter, separates it into individual bowls and then uses food color to make each bowl a separate color. They are soooo cute! I can't wait to show her this idea.