Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Take 5

When I was in high school, I came across a life philosophy that fit my over achiever lifestyle: "The more you do, the more you can do."  It worked for me for a long time.  I sincerely loved being busy and setting challenging goals one right after another.

And then I turned 40 and the desire to over achieve left me.  Almost instantly.  I no longer wanted to be on every committee or even on any committee.  I really wanted to do less, but enjoy it more.  I took a really deep breath and told my friends braced for condemnation.  And learned a valuable life lesson--my friends loved me not for what I did for everyone, but for who I am.  It was humbling and freeing.  I have never felt so loved.

After some happy tears and sad tears, I decided on a new life plan: 

I would take 5 minutes every day to meditate.  And find 5 ways to simplify my life each month until I felt balanced.  I would actively look for 5 ways to enjoy my life. 

Just a couple of days after I made this decision, I came across this cookbook:


It reinforced my belief in this plan and made my life much easier.  I was amazed at how many great dishes I could make quickly and simply with just 5 ingredients.  And my family loved them!

This week I am taking the philosophy to my scrapping.  I am printing out photos today and setting them on my scrap desk.  Tomorrow I am adding only 5 items to complete the page.  I will be back on Thursday to show you what I can do when I take 5.  Want to play along?  I would love to have you! Facebook

1 comments:

Butterfly Dreamer said...

I would love to play along....I know once I turned 40 I changed my life and started paying more attention to the little things and really enjoying life :) I sure wish to have a cookbook like that.