Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Little Things

Hi everyone!

It's the end of March already which means you have just a few days to submit to our current call for submissions.  Get those projects in!  I have a feeling it's going to be a great issue. :)

I wanted to take a moment and talk about the little things you can add to your layouts to jack them up a bit.  While I still don't know how to describe my scrapbooking style, I do know that I'm attracted to good composition, clean lines and structured design with a few "wow" factors.  The word "wow" can be used loosely.  That doesn't mean I actually say the word "WOW" but it just means there are some little things make me go... huh!

This layout was one I created for a recent challenge on the Lily Bee Design blog.  We were so fortunate to feature Lily Bee back on our August 2010 issue.  It was then that I fell in love with their product. So, naturally, I had to participate in the challenge using some of my stash but what intrigued me the most was it was about handmade embellishments.  I love doing that!  Why? Because it's economically friendly. And you are guaranteed to have embellishment that go with your product.


Cute photo, right? I'm the one in the pig tails. The little rosettes were my handmade embellishment that were cut with my Silhouette SD first. (I love my Silhouette!)

In constructing this layout I wanted to focus on some little details. I decided to spritz the cardstock base with some mist.  Not normally my style but, to along with the photo, I wanted something playful. I messed up when applying the rub-ons to that block (another handmade embellishment) but left it.  Sometimes our boo boo's end up kind of cool.


Then the fun begins.  I add my embellishments but think of those little things to complete it.  To add that little sparkly or colorful touch.  For this layout is the bling brad on top of the rose ribbon and the little pearls.








I guess my advice to you in this post is to sit back and look at your layout when you're done.  What else could you add to finish it off? Maybe a little drop of Liquid Pearls or a few pieces of bling.  Maybe some doodling or a splash of paint.  Or if you like it the way it is, then that works too!  Happy Creating!

Melissa

Supplies used for this layout: Paper, rub-ons: Lily Bee Design, Cardstock: Core'dinations, Alphabet: Basic Grey, Bling, pearls: Prima Marketing, Brad: Pink Paislee, Rosette ribbon: American Crafts, Ticket: Not sure... anyone know???, Mist: Smooch Spritz, Tool: Electronic Cutter: Silhouette SD (Shape: 3d_floral) Facebook

0 comments: